Tuesday, November 6, 2012

my friend's poem

So I'm taking this creative writing poetry class at school right now, and we were workshopping today. My friend was reading her poem, and this one line just really got me. I thought I'd share with you guys:

"Sometimes I think my life is a blur of 'have a nice day' shopping bags and those Godawful, blue 'we are happy to serve you' coffee cups."

The line just really hit me, because I feel like sometimes we ought to pay more attention to life. A lot of us are too focused on the paper that's due tomorrow, the grocery run we gotta make, or the package we gotta get to the post office. Such trivia eventually distracts us from the realness of life, and we are too often lost in our busy routines. When we're looking back, all we see is a stream of Unnecessary, and Doesn't Matter.

Point is: go out there and live. Really experience things. Talk to people. Read books. Learn things. Don't make your life a blur of "have a 'have a nice day' shopping bags and those Godawful, blue 'we are happy to serve you' coffee cups."

No comments:

Post a Comment