Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Life of Pi


So...as promised, I finally got myself over here to write the review of the movie. (Where's the applause????)

The movie starts out with a very Zen, calming traditional Indian song. It seems to have a religious hymnal quality to it (and I wouldn't be surprised if it does, because in large the movie deals with a lot of religious themes). Accompanying the music are the scores, with the opening scene of a zoo. The lettering mirrors the zoo scenes, such as if a monkey is dangling from a tree branch, one of the letters will dangle too. I believe that it's such attention to minute details that makes this movie truly outstanding. It just shows the viewers how much the director cared and invested.

While the story in the movie (and I won't spoil it for you, don't worry) isn't the most thought-provoking, it's definitely unique. After all, how many movies are made about animals and humans together, ending with the human(s) finding God? Not many. So yes, this movie is one of a kind.

Now, onto the filming: boy, isn't it one of the most beautiful movies ever made. Everything in this movie is seen from an unconventional angle, so very common scenes end up looking absolutely refreshing. There is one scene about a swimming pool, where it's shot from beneath the water, and the water is so clear you can see the sky and buildings above it, all blue and crystal and rippled. It is just breathtaking. 

Seeing these amazing scenes totally made me wonder. I'd think, if I can view such and such like this, what else can I see differently? 

I think that's my most valuable lesson from the movie: try to see things differently.

UPDATE: I made a playlist with Pi's Lullaby in it. *cough cough* Sara check it out. http://8tracks.com/ness428/in-the-depth-of-the-labyrinth

1 comment:

  1. I seriously need to see this movie. (btw I do my homework to that mix)

    ReplyDelete