Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Question Wednesday!


Good ol' Question Wednesday again! 

Today's question is inspired by Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. I'm reading this book for my English class, and I'm constantly amazed by it. The story is that of a young girl (Kaysen herself, actually) in a mental hospital. The story deals with various patients and their experiences and stories, and is told from a broken up chronology.

So, the question today is: what is the definition of "crazy?"

It was actually one of the discussion questions in class for this book. Everyone in my class had different answers, some of which included words such as "agitation" "unpredictability" "insane" "abnormal".

To be honest, I think that the idea of "crazy" is only relative--after all, "crazy" is only what is not normal, right? So then what decides normal? The society. No, scratch that. The majority of the society. That said, the minority, the "abnormal," shouldn't be considered all wrong, or, "crazy." This part of the society just doesn't...conform. I agree that there are people who need psychiatrists and such, but I don't think "crazy" should be a negative concept. It should just be what does not belong to the majority, and simply that.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Vanessa :]

No comments:

Post a Comment