Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Question Wednesday: What makes a good book "good?"


The title is pretty much self-explanatory in my opinion.

I'm sure everyone has their favorite books, or books that they think are "good" (or fabulous or awe-inspiring or life-changing, dot dot dot). The question is, what exactly makes a good book "good?"

First of all, I think the writing matters a lot. Every author has a different style, and not essentially every bestselling author's style suits your liking. However, generally speaking, a natural, established flow of story is fundamental. There should also at least be some conflict, and enough character interactions to push the plot along. For me personally, I have an obsession with first-person narratives (well I do still lovelovelove the Harry Potter series), particularly if it's a girl's perspective. Well, for the most part because I'm a girl.

Aside from the actual writing, I do think there's much more to a "good" story. Maybe one particular character (preferably the protagonist, or maybe the villain! You never know) connects to you in a certain way--most likely because it reflects some of your own qualities--you just bond with the book/character instantly. I think that's the case with a lot of books that I like. Say, the Perks of Being a Wallflower. I just felt so sympathetic towards Charlie and Sam, because I think their high school days, although crazy like mine, are splattered with the dark dangers of being a teenager, the almost inevitable melancholy that often accompanies adolescence. Another example, the Fault in Our Stars, I was constantly amazed by the wit the two main characters bring to the table. I was so invested in them and their relationship that I cried buckets for the turnout of the story (sobbbbbbb!).

So, I think a good story not only has to be solid in writing, but also has to be able to evoke some personal, emotional response from the reader. 

What do you think?

xx
Vanessa :]


2 comments:

  1. so much agreement! I think it's also a book that personally speaks to you. That's the feeling I get while I'm reading Life of Pi. It's touching and it makes you think about your life and world around you. Now that's a good book! And first-person is sooooo good at doing this because you feel everything the narrator does if the writer does a good job :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's why I applaud JK Rowling for using third person. ah. and being so darn good at it

      Delete