Saturday, February 23, 2013

Savvy Saturday: Where do these words come from?


Every day our eyes (and brain) take in tens of thousands of words. From the moment we get out of bed to the moment we climb back into bed, we are constantly surrounded by words. Conclusion 1: words are omnipresent! (More simply put: words are every-freaking-where!) Conclusion 2: Vanessa has a burning need to write about them.

So, here we go. I've wanted to talk about words for a little while now. As a writer, I'm obsessed with words, their roots, and their meanings. Actually, take a word I just used, "omnipresent," for example. In Latin, omni means "all, of all things," and present, of course, means physically existing. Therefore, 

omni + present = omnipresent
every + existing = existing everywhere

More words that I love that follow this structure:

photo + graph(y) = photograph(y)
light + write = to write with light
(I thought this one is especially beautiful)

meta + morph(osis) = metamorphosis
across/after + change = transformation

demo + cracy = democracy
people + reign = reign of the people

Anyways, I just thought the formations of these words are super amazing! :) Let me know if you think of any other words like this!

xx
Vanessa :] 

2 comments:

  1. ooooo i love stuff like this! it's like my medical terminology class, but prettier (because there is nothing fancy about the word gastrectomy). Especially photography. That's absolutely gorgeous. It makes me want to go out and take pictures :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! I actually first learned most of these when I was prepping for SAT (oh the dreadful vocab section).. but oh well :D

      Delete