Saturday, February 16, 2013

That friends-or-lovers relationship: The Art of Getting By (2011)

Title: The Art of Getting By (2011)
Language: English
Director: Gavin Wiesen
Starring: Freddie Highmore, Emma Roberts
My Rating: 4.5/5

"George, a lonely and fatalistic teen who's made it all the way to his senior year without ever having done a real day of work, is befriended by Sally, a popular but complicated girl who recognizes in him a kindred spirit."

I just finished watching this with girls in my dorm as our chill-out Friday night activity. And man, what a movie. Loved it to bits, from start to end. Totally unpredictable, quirky, definitely unconventional.

What I loved so much about this movie is how unreal it is--yes, you didn't read wrong. I said unreal. The statistical possibility of the situation, the relationship between George and Sally, is basically zero. What are the chances of a "slut" girl befriending a social outcast (however cute he is, yum yum)? But. BUT. Like I said, this is exactly why I love this movie. It is exactly because of the extreme unlikelihood of this situation that when it is created, it is breathtaking. It's like reading a fairytale (without a perfect ending), or gazing at a beautiful painting that you know just isn't real life. This is what the movie felt like to me.
Moreover, the conversations between Sally and George--boy, aren't they genius. Listen to these quotes:

Sally: "I have fears but I thought they were pretty run-of-the-mill: pain, death."
George: "Not me. I fear life."

Sally: "Are you okay?"
George: "I'm allergic to hormones."
Sally: "What hormones?"
George: "My own."

George: "And there you go with your mind games, treacherous, sadistic little hussy."

The list goes on. So, folks--need I say more? See the movie already! This is beautiful.
xx
Vanessa :]

(sources: imdb, tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment