Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thoughts on Sanity: Side Effects (2013)

Title: Side Effects
Language: English
Year: 2013
Director: Steven Soderbergh
My Rating: 5/5

"A young woman's world unravels when a drug prescribed by her psychiatrist has unexpected side effects."


The synopsis above (from Imdb) is a very condensed description of this psychological thriller that made me question my sanity. The movie tells the story of Emily Taylor (played by Rooney Mara who is one of my favorite actresses, who also played Lisbeth Salander in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and The Social Network), a "depressed" girl (well the quotation marks mean something...go see the movie and you'll know) and her way towards "self-destruction" (again, you have to see it to understand).

Anyways, I think the movie is really amazing because it's like Inception, and it touches on many social issues such as ethical issues concerning medical safety, sexuality, relationship, etc. Moreover, what won me over is the fact that the execution is very tactful, and the complicated plot line constantly challenges my IQ. The multi-facted storyline adds interesting layers to the movie, and make me want to see it a few more times (to get a fuller understanding).

Overall, I strongly recommend that everyone see this movie!!! NOW!!! It will leave you awed.

xx
Vanessa :]

1 comment:

  1. just watched this! it kept changing on me. every time i thought i had it figured out they would throw in another twist. ahhhhh so awesome :D

    ReplyDelete