Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Vacay Update

Welp...this seemed like such an awesome idea for a post until V posted all of the things that she's going to do in Europe. Don't get me wrong, I love the Midwest, but we don't really stand a chance when it comes to free champaign. But I'll try anyway.

Last weekend my foreign sister from the Netherlands came back for a visit (she was a foreign exchange student who stayed with us last fall). I will be referring to her as "the Netherlander" because of reasons.  We took her for a short weekend trip to:

(all these pictures are courtesy of the Netherlander
because i'm too lazy to take pictures....)

It was super fun (or as fun as South Dakota gets). The main reason we went was for the Wind Cave. It was super awesome but they wouldn't let us take pictures so here's the sign.


And here's some buffalo we saw on the way. I wanted to hug their fluffy little heads but they'd probably kill me that's frowned upon :( 

that car in the picture is a convertible. right after this picture
the two buffalo on the left got super friendly.
needless to say those people regretted the whole "no roof" thing. 

That night we stayed in the beautiful Hot Springs which has all these historic buildings (which neither one of us took pictures of). But there was this gorgeous waterfall:


And right across from the waterfall was the quaint little bakery that served the best strawberry french toast. We took walks around the town and ran across some gorgeous houses built right into the side of the canyon walls. Also, they don't believe in escalators...

and that was the short staircase

The next day Ellis and I took a drive through Custer State Park. We took every side road we could find. Since we're strange and we wanted you to experience riding in a car with the two of us here's a video of us: (we're sorry)




I also channeled my inner karate kid:


On the way home we drove through the badlands. If you've never been to the badlands they look like this:


I'm not really sure why people journeying across the United States decided "Hey, this looks nice. I think I'll homestead here," but they did. And good for them. But I'll be staying in the Nebraska. 

Finally, after three hours in the car we made it to the Nebraska state line.



Then we drove four more hours home. Which was awful. 

But!!! I managed to finish two books on the way home so I'll be posting those reviews soon :D

Until then, stay thirsty my friends :)









2 comments:

  1. OMG that video..!!! I laughed SO HARD. you guys are so hilarious! Looks like you had a good time! :) She came back for a visit so soon?? I thought she left around graduation time...? maybe I'm going cray now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she left in january so it wasn't quite that soon. that video...oh my gosh. that was the most hilarious drive ever. we had no idea where we were at so we just kept driving and didn't make it back to the hotel until after dark :D

      Delete