Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Between hope and fear: Catching Fire (2013)

Title: Catching Fire
Language: English
Year: 2013
Director: Francis Lawrence
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutchinson, Liam Hemsworth
My Rating: 5/5

"Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark become targets of the Capitol after their victory in the 74th Hunger Games sparks a rebellion in the Districts of Panem.” --imdb

Went to see this film last night after my last class of the fall quarter. And can I just say - I was blown away.

As a die-hard fan of the Hunger Games books,  I give kudos to the director for a successful book-to-film adaptation. Just like there are imperfections in even the best works of literature, the book Catching Fire is not flawless. And this is where the film succeeds - it leaves out the flaws and fill their places with something suspenseful, moving, and powerful. It really deals well with the themes of hope and fear, as it serves as the transitional piece between the first film (fear) and the third and last one (hope).

A few things I especially LOVED:
- the arena
the clock setup in the book was impressive enough, but the movie! the movie! In the movie the arena is set up so cleverly and visually beautiful, and let me just give you one small spoiler - there is a trick to do with the cornucopia. Yes, be expectant.
- Mags
The sacrifice. Need I say more?
- the victory tour (okay I'm sorry I'm not going in chronological order)
I cried so much during that part of the movie. Jennifer Lawrence did a superb job of portraying the fear and anger of Katniss and the districts people. It is extremely believable, personable, and touching.
- Effie
It is not only her bazillion beautiful costumes that are breathtaking in this film, but also the emotions that she lacked/was not supposed to have in the first film that struck me. Effie is so human in this film, which is all the more touching.

These are just a few things out of the many that I absolutely loved about this movie. If I get time I'll write a longer post about the parallels between this film and our society today, because there are plenty!
(source)
To conclude - go see the movie, people! It is gripping, it is intense, it will make you laugh as much as it will make you cry.
May the odds be ever in your favor,
Vanessa :]


No comments:

Post a Comment