Saturday, May 25, 2013

behind the armor : Iron Man 3



Title: Iron Man 3
Director: Shane Black
Starring:  Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle
Rating: 3.8/5.0

"When Tony Stark's world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution."
 Let's just start by saying that Iron Man/Tony Stark is by far my favorite Marvel character. I love that he has no superpowers (like a lot of Marvel characters) and gets by on sheer determination and intelligence. I fell in love with Iron Man and have re-watched it many times. Iron Man 2 definitely fell short in my opinion. So when the third movie of the Iron Man franchise was announced I had high expectations along with serious doubts. I've never been able to shake the whole "Spiderman Franchise Dilemma" in which the first movie was brilliant, the second one was "meh" and the third movie was disturbing.

example number one

Anyway, that up there worried me. Would Iron Man 3 be just as awful? I'm glad to say that it wasn't. But I do have to say that it left a lot to be desired.

First, let's talk about the movie itself. In the first movie we saw Tony Stark become Iron Man. In the second we saw what all the fame did to Tony. In the third installment we see the inner struggle between the suit and the man inside it. We also see post-apocalypse New York Avengers Tony. He's having nightmares and anxiety attacks. He's paranoid and spends all his free time developing the suits. But just when you begin to think that Tony has finally gotten over his ego he goes and invites the world's newest terrorist to dinner. See below trailer: 


I don't want to give too much away so I'll stop there. Just know that it's not the best Marvel movie I've seen, but it definitely out-does Iron Man 2 (which isn't that hard). 

Okay. Now we get to the SPOILERS!!!

Let's begin with things I liked:
  • The little kid and his love/hate relationship with Tony
  • The premise of Tony going back to his roots
  • The CG effects and set pieces
  • Human Tony Stark
  • The guy who played the Mandarin
  • The flashback story with the botanist/evil lady
  • All the easter eggs for the die-hard fans
  • The ending with Banner was perfect
  • RDJ's acting because he couldn't have done it any better

Things I did not like:
  • The Mandarin getting a complete overhaul
  • The botanist/evil lady turning good and then immediately getting shot (called that one)
  • The lack of dedication when it came to writing (There was so much potential for this story. But they screwed it)
  • Tony's half-assed character arc
  • The total waste of such an amazing actor such as RDJ
While we're on things I did not like, let's talk about what happened to the Mandarin. When I saw that first teaser trailer, let me tell you, I was freaking excited. The Mandarin is the only magical foe that Tony ever faces. It's something that really tests his will in the comic books. He's not just going up against brute force anymore. He has to beat magic. But what happens in the movie? They take this really amazing and unique character and turn him into a joke. Don't get me wrong, it was a crazy twist and completely hilarious when Tony found out. But seriously? I didn't really feel like there was anything all that evil for him to fight. Also, the whole Pepper saving Tony was kinda weird. I'm not sure I feel about that yet. 

That being said, the effects were superb and RDJ sold every moment of the sub-par script. The humor was there, sometimes too much. I guess it kinda lost me at the end. But maybe it will be like the Hunger Games and come back into my graces. Only time will tell. 

What are your thoughts and opinions?





1 comment: