Monday, March 18, 2013

Always hoping for the best: Silver Linings Playbook (the book not the movie)

Title: Silver Linings Playbook
Author: Matthew Quick
My Rating: 3.8/5.0

"Meet Pat Peoples. Pat has a theory: his life is a movie produced by God. And his God-given mission is to become physically fit and emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure him a happy ending—the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. (It might not come as a surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility.)

The problem is, Pat’s now home, and everything feels off. No one will talk to him about Nikki; his beloved Philadelphia Eagles keep losing; he’s being pursued by the deeply odd Tiffany; his new therapist seems to recommend adultery as a form of therapy. Plus, he’s being haunted by Kenny G!" (from Amazon)

(Announcement: This is a review of the BOOK not the MOVIE. For the review of the movie, see here.)

I read the book on my plane to Dubai (connecting to Bengalore, India), prior to re-watching the movie (which is AH-MAZING). However, about this book, I have some mixed feelings.

Clearly the book is well-written, the language is fluid, the plot consistent. Call me biased, because I saw the movie first, but the book is so very fairly different from the movie. (*SPOILERS ALERT*) In the movie, the blossoming of Pat and Tiffany's relationship take up a rather big part, whereas in the book, Tiffany's appearances are rare, and their relationship is barely there at best. Only towards the very tail end does Pat actually start to have feelings for Tiffany (which is NOT OKAY). Instead, the book deals largely with Pat's family drama: no, Pat's dad isn't the loving, forgiving person in the movie; he is rather an ass and pretty violent. 

Honestly, I don't think I enjoyed the book half as much as I enjoyed the movie, but again, my personal attachment to the character Tiffany affected my judgment severely. So, do as you see fit, whoever's still reading at this point. Read the book if you just want to get more of this story; otherwise book-reading is not very much necessary.

xx
Vanessa :]

No comments:

Post a Comment