Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The town was paper, the memories were not.


Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Rating: 3.9/5.0
"Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.  After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew."
I really wanted to fall in complete love with this book like I did when I read The Fault in Our Stars. Unfortunately, I did not. It's not that it's a bad book. Don't get me wrong! But it isn't as brilliant  as some of his other work.

To like this book you have to look deep inside of you. I'm a senior in high school. I've got less than two months until I graduate. So this book hit me at a perfect time in my life.

John Green does something that John Green in best at. Understanding teenagers better than teenagers understand themselves. Green has this uncanny ability to create something prolific from something so minuscule.

Now maybe I didn't like this book as much because it kind of lost me in the middle. Maybe it's because it didn't make me cry. But it made me think. It made me think about what was important in my life. About how I looked at my life, and what I was going to do with it.

Looking back at it, the middle (where I got lost) was probably the most important part. It's the part where the main character begins to realize who he is. You see Quentin realizes that all the people in his life are very different from what he believes them to be. Not because they're leading him on, but because he has a mental picture of who his friends are. While it's not completely incorrect, it's not perfectly accurate.

We see people in our lives how we want to see them. We do things because we believe that we need to do them. We spend every day of our lives planning for the future. And as soon as that future gets here, we begin planning ahead for the next day.

I'd really like to write a longer review of this book. But there's not a lot to say. If I were to try to paraphrase the 332 pages of this book I would never do it justice. Because what I get out of it will be completely different than what you reading this right now ever would. This book draws from the experiences of the reader. You project your own feelings into this book, and that's what makes it so great.


















[Source: Goodreads, DeviantArt]

3 comments:

  1. "John Green does something that John Green in best at. Understanding teenagers better than teenagers understand themselves." So very very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's good that you were able to read this book and be able to compare it to the other one for future reference! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete