Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"Some infinities are bigger than others:" The Fault In Our Stars



Author: John Green
My rating: 5/5

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.”

(Announcement: This is an older review from November 2012. It's been on my Goodreads account for a while, so I thought I should post it here, for consistency)

John Green. Oh John Green. Why must you write something so deep and tearjerking in such a believable way. After devouring the book in two sleepless (and foodless) days I am just devastated by the time I reached Acknowledgements. 

I am going to get my only tiniest complaint about the story out of the way, and then I'm going to quote my favorite (sometimes very hilarious and very painful) lines from the story, because I can't form words to praise it.

K. I think the only thing I'm gonna be nit picky about is the use of language. I totally understand that given the stuff Hazel and Augustus have gone through in their life, they will inevitably have some deep thoughts, and will exchange meaningful ideas more often than regular teenagers. But then again, sometimes the way they talk sounds a tad too processed--it's almost only good-looking on paper, but when you try to read it out loud it sounds way too formal, and pretentious, even, if I may. (But I'm not implying that I don't enjoy the good-looking-ness of these words and thoughts on paper. To be honest, I'm blown away by most of them.)
So that is that. Now let's move on and talk about my favorite quotations:

“That’s the thing about pain. It demands to be felt.”
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”
“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
“I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
“And in freedom, most people find sin.”
“Sometimes it seems the universe wants to be noticed.”
“Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”
“I love you present tense.”

These words pretty much sum up my feelings. I have never cried so much for any book (I did cry almost as much for Perks of Being a Wallflower, the MOVIE. the book I cried for too, but not half as much.)

And the ending just. I know it's the only possible way to end the book, but just. I don't know if I'd rather read until Hazel is dead or what. Hard to decide.

Bravo, John Green. Bravo.

xx
Vanessa :]

No comments:

Post a Comment