Tuesday, January 8, 2013

reasons not to take online college courses

You don't know your teacher and you don't know any students who have ever had the teacher. You don't know what they like and what they don't. You don't even know what they look like. It's awful. I've had really good luck for the three years I've been in online courses, but I think that this last semester may just prove unlucky. I'm taking a human bio course and the teacher apparently is on the crusade against plagiarism. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for doing your own work and being original. But the teacher wants us to turn in the paper into Turnitin.com. Now if you haven't used this website let me give you a little background. This site will take your paper and compare it to EVERY WRITTEN WORD it can find. It even compares it to other papers submitted by students around the country. It's amazing software and super handy. But sometimes it looks too hard. While it's impossible to copy something word for word on accident, it's pretty easy to accidentally write something extremely similar because everything you're writing about is also being written about by hundreds of other students. Information, especially about science, is usually the same and there isn't too many ways of expressing those ideas. So there's a good chance that what you write is going to similar to someone else's work. I've had this happen many times already, but I've known the teacher personally. They know me, and they know that I don't copy. They give you the benefit of the doubt because they know your character. But that's not the case here. If something like that happens in the class I fail. No discussion. I'm given a zero for the entire course and kicked out. All because a website says so.

2 comments:

  1. "You don't know what they like and what they don't." I laughed so hard at this. so sadly true.

    and omg, that's so unfair!!! ugh, that's just...frustrating and terrible! What are you going to do about it? Anything??

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I know! But you can totally use it against them when you write essays. I always try to reference to scifi stuff when i have to write physics papers because my science teacher is a huge scifi buff and he gives me extra points.

    idk, i'll just have to deal with it I guess. we'll just hope :/

    ReplyDelete