Monday, February 25, 2013

A Chase for Love: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

My Rating: 3.5/5

“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?"

**THIS REVIEW IS BASED ON A NETGALLEY THANSK TO HARLEQUIN UK LTD. (ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY)**

I picked up Dash & Lily's Book of Dares after watching the film Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, whose depth and depiction of characters amazed me. However, it is unfortunate that Dash & Lily's Book of Dares failed to live up to my expectations (which were high, probably too high).

Still, it was an interesting story. I'll start with the good things: the POVs. I found the switching back and forth between Dash and Lily's perspectives quite well-done, possibly because the book is co-written by two authors who have distinct writing voices. The switching of POVs allowed me as a reader to get into both protagonists' heads, and can get a clear sense of what's going on most of the time. The premise is very intriguing, too. The idea that two people, essentially two strangers, could spark up something beautiful through a few words written in a red notebook at a bookstore, is simply genius. Yes, it may be impractical, but nonetheless romantic (and hip) as hell. I often smiled while reading the "journal entries/clues" Dash and Lily left for each other, because the authors weaved the protags' life stories into them really well.

 Now, onto the one thing I didn't really love (one supa detrimental thing): story progresses slowly. Like, slow----ly. Maybe it's the plot itself, or the execution (definitely not the idea, because the notebook idea is AWESOME), the story just didn't flow well for me. At times I almost couldn't read on; I simply wasn't that engrossed/invested anymore. Which is sad, because I really like the premise, and I really wanted it to be wonderful. The story had its potential, but oh well, it didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to.

In all, it's still an intriguing book, and an interesting read. If you're the kind of person constantly worried about not being able to put down a book (and you happen to have myriad tasks awaiting), this is the book for you. It is young love, life thoughts, and some great moments plus a great idea (the notebook, the notebook!). However, if you find yourself hard to get into books to start with, do not pick this up--that will be money wasted indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment