**SPOILER ALERT** anyone (cough cough, Sara) who wishes to read the book the Fault in Our Stars unspoiled is strongly advised not to read the poem below.
That said, the daring ones out there, here ya go.
The Age of Miracles
I knew that it wouldn’t last
A star burning too bright from the start
A father’s staccato sobs poising in the dark
Breathing seems so easy to do
Until it’s not anymore
No. Oxygen.
The holes in my lungs,
I know you hear them, too.
So why do we try?
Confetti drizzled from the sky
The water lapped, choirs sang
Together we poured and tasted the stars
Love.
Is it a shout into the void?
Maybe.
Infinities piled upon infinities
You smiled.
Even the brightest light couldn’t save your
Vanishing act
The end.
I dropped a popsicle stick on the ground one day
And watched it buried
By kingdoms of ants
In the Literal Heart of Jesus
We are just as small. As weak.
There is nothing like a firework show
When you’re sick
And ice cream is the only kind thing
In the whole world.
…
I love you. (present tense)
My life is a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.
*** I intend to write this into a song someday :]
PLEASE WRITE SWEET MUSIC TO THIS.
ReplyDelete