Monday, November 12, 2012

Things to ponder...

As you probably know, I've just begun reading The Fault In Our Stars. I'm on page four. And it's already fantastic. 


"Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer. But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying. (Cancer is also a side effect of dying. Almost everything is, really.)"

That is the most touching, deep, and meaningful thought that I've read in a long time. It gets me thinking. As humans, in fact, as living things, we fear death. We try to avoid it (usually). But when you think about it, everything you do, everyday you wake up is one step closer to death. Now I understand I'm being all depressing, but I swear I have a point. While, yes, every day you are closer to death and that's a saddening thought, every day is also another day of life. Another day to enjoy the world. 

If everything is a side effect of dying, then that fantastic night at the movies you had with your crush was a side effect of dying. The time you spent laughing with your best friend until neither one of you could breathe was a side effect of dying. Your graduation, your marriage, your children. They are all a side effect of dying. 

Life is a side effect of dying.

It has a beginning, a middle, and an end. It's mixture of good things and bad things. The good things don't always make the bad things better, but then again, the bad things don't always spoil the good things or make them unimportant. It's a journey, a great adventure that we must experience to reach our goal. The great parts of the story are the moments leading to the ending. 

The side effects of dying. 

2 comments:

  1. "If everything is a side effect of dying, then that fantastic night at the movies you had with your crush was a side effect of dying. The time you spent laughing with your best friend until neither one of you could breathe was a side effect of dying. Your graduation, your marriage, your children. They are all a side effect of dying."

    You are a lovely soul, Sara. I can tell we'll have so much to discuss after you're more pages into the book. Trust me, I'm shaken over and over again by that book.

    ps. I wrote TFioS on my new white Keds. I can send you a picture someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! yay! I wanna see them :D

      Delete